Hill’s has sent out an recall on some of their canned dog food due to a potentially elevated level of vitamin D. The affected canned dog foods were distributed through retail pet stores and veterinary clinics nationwide in the United States. No dry foods, cat foods, or treats are affected.
Check the SKU, date and lot numbers in the link below to see if you have any of the recalled items. Pet parents who purchased the product with the specific lot/date codes listed should discontinue feeding and dispose of those products immediately. To have discarded products replaced at no cost, please contact Hill’s via email or at 1-800-445-5777 (Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Central Standard Time).
We’ve checked all our stock and all of ours are ok, so if you need replacement let us know.
We feel a reminder wouldn’t hurt in light of a recent case where the pet tragically died.
Rodenticide Toxicity (Rat poison)
Rodenticide toxicity can be caused by any of several types of rodent poisons that fall into two general categories, anticoagulants and non-anticoagulants. ANTICOAGULANT RODENTICIDES work by interfering with the activation of Vitamin K, a critical component in the production of blood clotting factors in the liver. NON-ANTICOAGULANT RODENTICIDES vary in their mechanism of action and include bromethalin, strychnine, cholecalciferol, and zinc phosphide.
Rodenticides are TOXIC to many species of birds and mammals including PETS, farm animals, and wildlife species. The time between EXPOSURE AND DEVELOPMENT of clinical signs is dependent upon the specific chemical and amount consumed.
Ingestion of a significant amount of ANTICOAGULANT rodenticides results in interference with blood coagulation and spontaneous bleeding. Specific CLINICAL SIGNS can include widespread bruising, bleeding into body cavities, and blood in the urine or feces; if the bleeding is sudden and significant, then cardiovascular shock and death can result. Bleeding can occur INTERNALLY OR EXTERNALLY and can affect any part of the body.
NON-ANTICOAGULANT rodenticide toxicity symptoms are more variable and are dependent on the chemical and dose. The CLINICAL SIGNS include rapid onset of seizures, muscle tremors, limb weakness, ataxia, neurologic signs, respiratory paralysis, anorexia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.
IF YOUR PET HAS INGESTED RODENT POISON, CONTACT YOUR VETERINARIAN IMMEDIATELY.!!
Bring with you the product packaging, as it will help identify the type of poison and proper course of treatment.
Treatment may involve hospitalization, medications to counteract the effect of the toxin, blood transfusions, intravenous fluids and anti-seizure medications.
We have several choices these days of pet friendly ice melt. The old rock salts of yesteryear are not our only options. Many ice melt products can be harmful to your pet’s feet, and digestion. Here at Smith Vet we use “Safe Pet Ice Melter”, which causes no harm to pet’s toes and tummy’s, and works quite well. Check out this article for more information & melt that ice safely!!
From Dogs Naturally: Finding Dog Friendly Ice Melters
Did you know? Some states don't routinely inspect hospitals, only going in for an inspection when a complaint is filed by a pet owner. We don't think this is good enough, which is why we chose to go above and beyond and become accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association.
We choose to be evaluated regularly by AAHA because we hold ourselves to a higher standard! We always tell you we're AAHA accredited, but what does that really mean? Check out this video to learn more.
Post tech week thoughts….
As I reflect on National Veterinary Technician week, I am truly overwhelmed by the knowledge and compassion of my colleagues. “I could never do that job,” is something that I hear frequently when I describe my duties to people who do not work in the veterinary field, yet these incredible individuals at Smith Veterinary Hospital couldn’t imagine themselves doing anything else. Every technician at our hospital goes through a rigorous training program and is skilled in every aspect of the position. Each day we work as anesthesiologists, phlebotomists, pharmacists, surgical assistants, dental hygienists, x-ray technicians, record keepers, poop scoopers, and a calming touch to every patient.
When asked to describe their favorite part of the job, it is clear that each technician has their own area of special interest. “I love monitoring anesthesia,” Pearl gushes without hesitation. “Being responsible for my patient’s life during surgery is an incredible privilege.” Jenna explains that patient nursing care is her favorite part of the day-to-day operations. “I love working with my patient and helping them feel better,” she tells me with a smile. After chatting with most of the staff, the consensus was that our overall passion is being advocates for our patients. Ensuring that they are calm, comfortable and receive the utmost care are our reasons for coming to work each day. So, please know when your pet is in the hospital, it’s being cared for as if it were one of our very own.
By now you’ve likely heard of Midge, the stolen Petco kitten. At barely 12 weeks of age, Midge has become a major news story in Santa Fe after being stolen then abandoned in a local Petco store. After being discovered, it was apparent that Midge was in distress and she was brought to us for help.
Upon arrival, Midge was immediately examined by our Dr. Jennifer Garcia. “She presented with neurologic signs; circling, dilated pupils and singed whiskers. Diagnostics were performed which revealed an elevated white blood cell count. This could indicate infection or inflammation but still does not tell us the underlying cause of her symptoms. Based on her physical exam and diagnostic findings, I recommended treating symptomatically with supportive care”, Dr. Jennifer Garcia reported. Midge was treated with oral activated charcoal to help absorb possibly ingested toxins, intravenous fluid therapy to flush her system and a long lasting antibiotic injection. “By midnight, 6 hours after starting treatment, we could already see improvement in her clinical signs. She was aware of her surroundings and acting more like a kitten, which wasn’t the case earlier.” Dr. Garcia was happy to release her back to her foster home.
According to Midge’s foster parent, she is doing very well. She has been reunited with her litter mates and is back to her playful self. Midge is a “Felines and Friends” rescue who was given a second chance through the non-profit, all volunteer-run organization. Smith Veterinary Hospital happily works closely with the group and treats many of their rescued cats.
Although the mystery of her whereabouts during that 24 hours period has not been solved, the staff at Smith Veterinary Hospital are relieved that Midge has made a full recovery.