February is National Pet Dental Health Month!
Good dental health is very important to our pets' overall well-being, but it's difficult to monitor and often neglected for a variety of totally legitimate reasons:
- Unlike humans, cats and dogs are reluctant to allow us to examine their mouths closely during the course of a normal annual doctor's appointment.
- Not unlike humans, cats and dogs don't like having someone sticking hands and fingers in their mouths to try and clean their teeth.
- Very unlike humans, cats and dogs can't be taught to brush and floss their own teeth on anything like a regular basis.
As you can see, many of the tools we use to maintain good dental health in humans aren't available in cats and dogs, and our pets are often so reluctant to tell us they're in pain that issues with pets' mouths and teeth are often concealed until they get really bad. Poor dental health can result in a lot of problems that impact general health, including:
- Tooth root abscesses, a painful condition that occurs when a pet develops an infection surrounding the part of the tooth under the gum. This often requires emergency surgery to correct.
- Oronasal fistulas, or holes that communicate between the mouth and the sinus.
- Loss of appetite
- Tooth loss
All these problems can generally be avoided when pets receive regular dental cleanings. Because performing a proper dental cleaning on a pet requires placing them under general anesthesia, the process is more involved and thus more expensive than a dental cleaning for a human.
Recognizing this, we offer a 10% discount on dental procedures and associated costs (pre-anesthetic blood work, dental radiographs, tooth extractions, and post-op medications) for a six to seven week period in and around February, every year. In 2018, it will run from Monday, January 15th to Friday, March 2nd, allowing us to reach pets who otherwise might not have access to dental care and keep their dental health problems from becoming more serious.
In the interest of making sure every procedure is as safe as possible, we only have a limited number of spaces available for this discounted service, so please make your appointment soon!